Info in English
Through the “Pyramid” Center of Support for Students with Special Needs, the University of Ostrava Offers and Provides the Following Services:
- provides consultancy services and actively advocates management of individual studies-related matters of students with special needs
- pedagogical consultancy is provided by contact persons of individual faculties of the University of Ostrava (the list of contact persons is posted on the pyramid center website),
- mediates interpreting and assistance services,
- provides recording services,
- arranges for individual lessons,
- assists in searching in el. catalogs and databases of specialized information,
- offers librarian and information services,
- assists in getting oriented on website of the University of Ostrava and its information system, consultancy services through the center website,
- assists in hw and sw installations on pc’s of students with special needs, so that all information and communication sources required for their studies are made available to them to the maximum possible extent,
- arranges for making studying materials available in various formats and for various methods of reading (tactile copy, electronic text for tactile output, for audio output, for magnifying glass, etc.),
- arranges for document copying, printing on special printers, burning of cd’s/dvd’s containing files with studying materials from sources available in the network of the University of Ostrava or from lecturers, in the scope stipulated in the copyright act of the Czech Republic,
- arranges for access to documents in cooperation with schools specialized in education of people with sensory handicap, assistance centers and special tactile, audio and electronic libraries in the czech republic and abroad.
- assists in operation of special equipment for people with sensory handicap including lending services,
- organizes the czech sign language lessons for students of the University of Ostrava,
The students with special needs have an opportunity to use the computers and other equipment of the pyramid center for studying purposes.
Contact Details: Pyramid Center, Ostravská univerzita v Ostravě, Bráfova 3, 701 17 Ostrava, firstname.lastname@example.org, +420 597 091 234
Minimum Standards for Integration of Persons with Special Needs in Studies at University of Ostrava
1.1 Articles 1: General Principles
- The persons with special needs are applicants and students with specific health handicaps. A specific health handicap mainly means impaired vision, impaired hearing and sever physical handicap.
- All employees of the University of Ostrava, Ostrava, shall treat the student or applicant with a specific health handicap in a way respecting his/her special needs arising from the health handicap to the biggest possible extent, so that he/she is not entirely dependent on his/her own assistant during such negotiations. They can waive such procedure only upon request of the applicant, who explicitly prefers cooperation with his/her own assistant.
- The University of Ostrava shall arrange for an offer of a contact person for students with special needs through the website of the University of Ostrava. The contact person will inform the applicant about procedures, which the University of Ostrava offers to the students with special needs, will be ready to help the applicants get oriented in the offer of curriculums of the individual faculties, will contact the respective employee of the University Library of the University of Ostrava for orientation in the offer of information sources and both, standard and specific services provided by the library, will offer participation in the Course for study applicants, etc.
1.2 Articles 2: Admission Proceedings
- If the applicant with specific health handicap files a study application, asking for his/her health condition and special needs arising form the health handicap to be taken into account, the University of Ostrava shall (through the Pyramid Center coordinator) immediately notify the contact person in the respective faculty of the University of Ostrava.
- The contact person analyzes the character and scope of the special needs and submits a proposal for the admission proceedings modification to the Dean. In this process, the contact person shall follow the principle that the proposed modification shall deviate from the normal procedure to the least possible extent.
- The University of Ostrava can offer adapted education courses within the lifelong education to the applicants or students with special needs, who do not master the required communication technologies, which will enable them to master these.
- Any and all information and materials related to the admission proceedings provided to other students (training texts, samples of admission tests, etc.) must be provided also to the students with special needs in a form corresponding to their needs.
- The Educational Department shall immediately notify the respective contract person of the admission of the applicant with special needs.
1.3 Articles 3: Contact Person in Faculty
The contact person for a student with special needs is a pedagogical employee of the respective faculty, who satisfies the student’s special needs before the start of and during the studies and assists in the process of the personal curriculum compilation. He/she shall also ensure the respective institute is informed about the student’s special needs.
1.4 Articles 4: Personal Curriculum
Should a personal curriculum be required with respect to the student’s special needs, the contact person of the student with special needs, eventually in cooperation with other specialists of the institute and consultants of other institutes, the draft curriculum and submit it to the Dean of the faculty or a person designated by him. The curriculum does not need to respect the provisions of the Studies and Examination Rules of the University of Ostrava in justified cases. When compiling the curriculum, the contact person of the student with special needs shall make sure the personal curriculum:
- is compiled in line with the curriculum of the chosen field of study,
- is prepared at least for the next two semesters,
- enables completion of the studies within a period as close to the standard period of studies as possible, however, no later than in a double standard period of the studies; in case of followed master studies, the double standard period of studies can be exceeded by 1 year,
- includes identification of the student’s special needs during studies.
1.5 Articles 5: Registration and Enrollment
- The Educational Department can require a physical presence of the student with special needs in the process of enrolment or other official acts for purposes of taking over the documents with personal delivery (ISIC card, etc.), provided the meeting room and agenda are accessible to the applicant or student with special needs in terms of the provisions of Article 1 par. 1 of this methodology. However, they shall not be entitled to require delivery of documents to be checked only visually in case of students with impaired vision. Such agenda shall be handled by the student electronically, or with a contact person or person he/she shall designated as his/her attendant.
- The contact person shall be responsible for the student to be enrolled for such subjects of studies in the given semester, which he/she can study with respect to his/her special needs, as there are the required conditions established for such subjects (available literature and specific didactic aids, interpreters, technologies, knowledge of access routes, or possibility of accompaniment).
- Should the student, within one month of the semester beginning, appear not to be able to pass some of the enrolled subjects of studies in the given semester due to his/her special needs, the contact person shall arrange for modification of the enrollment, so that it corresponds to his/her possibilities.
1.6 Articles 6: Special Needs during Lessons
- The contact person is entitled to require a precise annotation of the subjects of studies from the guarantors of the individual studies, which the student is going to pass in the next two semesters in line with the normal or personal curriculum, including the studying literature necessarily required for passing the studies in an electronic form and in the specified format that respects the student’s needs. Should it be impossible to obtain the stated materials within the required period of time, the contact person can reject enrollment of the study with respect to impossible arrangement from the technological perspective.
- The contact person shall notify all teachers, for whose study groups the student with specific health handicap has been enrolled, offering them consultation, eventually referring them to the Pyramid Center.
- The contact person, along with the Pyramid Center coordinator, shall arrange for the required literature for the agreed subjects of studies of the personal curriculum, event. the sign language interpretation and available specific didactic technologies.
- Prior to start of studies in the semester, the teacher shall notify the contact person of requirements, which may go beyond the possibilities of such student (such as a written test or a vision-based laboratory or practical activity in case of students with impaired vision, etc.), and verify possibilities of technological solution of these tasks or respective alternatives.
- Should the didactic procedure not enable following the studies in a normal form at all or if the teacher does not enable the student with special needs to use the special technologies and aids (such as dictaphone, digital magnifier, electronic recorder with voice or tactile output, normal or Braille keyboard, laptop with enlarging program, screen reading and voice synthesizer or tactile display, office typewriter, Picht typewriter for Braille recording), the teacher shall, based on the agreement with the contact person and student with special needs, designate a lector among the students, who will provide the student with special needs with an alternative interpretation and required explanations individually, or provide him/her with the content of lectures and seminars in the full scope and in a form respecting the student’s needs. (Braille, enlarged black printing, electronic form, audio-recording, etc.).
1.7 Articles 7: Instructions on Procedures of Tests, Credits and Examinations
- Every applicant or student with special needs has the right to such studying conditions, which do not discriminate him/her in comparison with other applicants or students. In the contrary, the examiner shall not, due to lack of knowledge, abandon the standard course of examination where the available technologies enable even an applicant or student with special needs to satisfy normal demands.
- The studying conditions are mainly characterized by the following:
- Accessibility to Buildings and Rooms
The examination room must be physically accessible (sloping ramp, staircase climbing device“, elevator with corresponding dimensions, etc.), and close to the barrier-free toilets, if possible.
- Technical Accessories of Examination Rooms
The applicants or students with specific health handicap are invited to the examinations and tests to be held in special examination room, whenever their integration among other applicants or students is technically impossible with respect to using of special equipment, dependence on personal assistant, room accessibility, etc. The technical equipment of this room is the responsibility of the contact person at the University of Ostrava along with the Educational Department of the respective faculty, who must be notified of the examiner’s requirements in line with the provisions of Article 6 par. 4.
- Using of Own or University Specific Equipment
- The applicants or students, who normally work with specific equipment, shall notify in advance of the fact that they are interested in using such specific equipment of their own (digital magnifier, electronic recorder with voice or tactile output, with normal or Braille keyboard, notebook with enlarging program or with void output (synthesizer) or tactile display (Braille line), office typewriter, Picht typewriter for Braille recording, dictaphone, etc.).
- The University of Ostrava is entitled to require the applicant or student to use the equipment owned by the University of Ostrava during the examination; however, it shall establish studying conditions on such equipment respecting the applicant’s or student’s special needs.
- The blind or weak-sighted applicants or students may take the examinations in Braille or in enlarged black printing, whereas they can take records manually or using the respective technical equipment (electronic recorder, laptop, etc.). The applicants or students can be provided with the task and complete the written examination in an electronic form.
- The deaf applicants or students or those with impaired hearing have the right for the sign language translation, provided they arrange for the interpreting services. The contact person is responsible for the interpretation to be performed during the examination only by the person with capacity to such activity and for the examination regularity not to be impaired.
- Form of Examinations
The tutor (eventually in cooperation with the contact person) is entitled to require the examination tasks to be based on written materials and assume such working procedures, which enable the applicants or students with special needs to take the examinations under equal conditions. His requirement can be rejected only in case the required modification of the task or procedure modifies the factual substance of the examination. The modification means text modification, format modification, etc. The examination task must be transferred into a form respecting the student’s special needs (Braille, enlarged black printing, digitalization into an electronic form, etc.).
- Extended Term
The applicants or students can take the advantage of the extended term for passing the examination, with the exception of cases, which are fully special or explicitly approved by the Dean upon the contact person’s proposal, whereas such term shall not exceed the triple of the term normally assumed for passing the respective test or examination.
- Examination Supervisors and Assessors
- The supervision in the admission examinations, final state examinations, rigorous state examinations and doctoral state examinations shall be identical to one in case of other applicants or students.
- Should the presence of an assessor be required due to the special needs of the applicant or student, such assessor shall be designated by the Dean of the faculty, preferably from the teachers of such discipline, which is the subject of the examination. Should this be impossible, the assessor shall be designated to ensure that with his/her education, he/she is at the level of the applicant or student if he/she has education of other specialization or one degree below the applicant’s or student’s level, however, on the assumption that he/she has the required basic knowledge of the given discipline.
- Accessibility to Buildings and Rooms
1.8 Articles 8: Fees Associated with Studies
- The student with special needs is not obliged to pay the administration fees associated with the studies.
- Based on submitted medical reports and after appropriate fulfillment of all studying obligations, which are not affected by special needs or specific health restrictions of the student, the vice-chancellor of the University of Ostrava can make a decision on remission of fees for above-standard period of the studies.